Yesterday after swimming lessons I just wanted to get one thing at the store. I had gone to get a cart on the other side of the parking lot for the baby and Adam to sit in. I tell my children to stay in the car, but of course they dont. So they are running towards me in the parking lot. All of the sudden this women is just yelling at me about being a bad mother and how she was worried about running over my daughter. Shay was actually the only one that stayed in the car. The women could see her sitting in the car and felt like at any time Shay would too run across the street. But, gosh darn she's 7 almost 8 and I've taught her how to look for cars. (I should say that all of my children had their swim suits on. So yes we probably looked like we were white trash). So I'm thinking "What the Heck" What's wrong with people these days that they think they are the mothers and fathers of the world. You're a young mother at a store and trying to do the best you can to keep your child under control and calm and someone thinks its their job to come over and correct you. This has just bugged me for years. How about some compassion or even understanding. I'll admit that there are bad mothers out there. But, most of us are just trying the best way we know how to get along. I guess I'm thankful for my kids for opening my eyes. You know you hear those stories on the news of a mother or father that leaves their infant in the car. I have to admit that I almost did that with Adam. You have to realize that my mom just died, so my mind wasn't exactly clear. As I walked in the house I heard a voice remind me that he was still in the car. So I realize even more how careful I should be with my judgments. I know before I had kids in my 20's I was pretty judgmental. But I'm glad to have my eyes opened so I can work on this weakness. Obviously not there yet, a work in progress. Right!
Maybe this is a little weird, but back a few months when we were studying the New Testament in church, the lesson was on the woman that commits adultery and they were about to stone her. Anyway, you all know the story. I just couldnt get that story out of my head. I kept wondering why Jesus disliked the Pharisees and Saducees so much. They were trying to do what was right. I think I had an Aha moment. Finally it came to my mind that he despised them so much because of there lack of compassion or understanding for anyone else. They refused to see their own weakness and sins. They refused to see the gift he was giving them.
Anyway, thanks for reading my latest therapy post. I'm sure they're coming to take me away!! Ha Ha
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






8 comments:
Oh, I hate that! People can be so judgemental. I always feel so bad for those people you see on the news that have left their baby in the car. They are usually good parents and will forever live with what happened. It's so sad. I think that is a good way to look at parenting--I'm doing the best I can.
Sometimes you just have to laugh at how ignorant other people are! With the four boys, I know that people are just waiting to see what happens. I have gotten to the point where I sometimes enjoy seeing how they react to my situation. Still irks me, though. My 3 year old threw a tantrum in the dollar store a few months back. I stayed calm, but I was in the check out line and wasn't going to walk out without the stuff I needed. The woman in front of me was plugging her ears with her fingers, and the check out clerk wouldn't even look at me. Everyone else in line just stared at me. It was way fun! Hey, summer is almost over. We need to get together! I think we are as healthy as we are going to get. When is good for you? Maybe lunch someday next week?
I totally know how you and Jana feel I was in the 99cent store with my mom Jared and Dominic where right in front of my cart like not even two feet Jared touched a paper saying 99cents you know the price under the item and the older lady said to him "don't touch that we won't know the price of the item". I said we are in the 99 cent store everything is 99 cents and then I said I am his mom I am right here to tell him what to do. Just funny people think they can tell other people children ( that dont even know ) what to do. DON'T WORRY YOU ARE A GOOD MOM.
eeeeeeeek. I am so sorry.I love it when people feel the need to parent us or our children. 2 more days and we're off to Mt Graham! Aren't you headed there?
Christan, Made me laugh, when I was telling her about my day of parent interventions for incompetent mothers
and she mentioned reading yours on your blog. It seems sad people have some much to say to moms who they can see are really trying and yet the ones who neglect their children seem to have nothing said to them. Hang in there, at least you know you are not alone....Becky
Don't worry about people who don't have lives and need something to do so they meddle....just have pity on them for not having as much fun as you! Hey...thru Donelle, there is another great site for blog skins...thought you might like it. www.iwantthatdesign.blogspot.com
Keep smiling!
Totally missed you up on the mountain. We were in Pima on Thursday, and went up Friday. Too rainy, so we came home Saturday. Can you believe how green it was?
sorry about the yelling woman incident. lame. you are a dang good mom!
i love your insight about the lack of compassion of the pharises and saggeses (ok- however you spell those). thanks for sharing that aha moment!
Post a Comment