Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy 10th Birthday Derek!



Derek's birthday was actually Oct 26th. I feel bad, being a lame mother and all, and not posting on his actual birthday. Anyway, here are some special things about Derek.


*Catches on to things really quickly. As a two year old knew how to undo brand new locks that we got for the fridge and oven the day we got them.


* Has a kind heart and will cry for animals. (Poor thing cried most the night when we lost our cat last year) He always is good to Matthew and gets him out of be in the morning.


*Has a brain that figures out Math quickly.


*Has boundless energy (could be considered good or bad. I keep reminding myself sometimes again and again This is a good quality Yvette. This is a good quality Yvette)


*He can get any job he's motivated to do done fast. (The key is if he has the motivation)


*Has a funny sense of humor. He always cracks me up.


*Never gives up on anything.... and I mean anything


*Can debate anyone on anything and has some good points.


*Is the official teaser in our house.


*good brother with the little boys. Loves playing and wrestling with them


I really do love this boy and I'm very proud of him also. I can't wait to see what kind of adult he will be. I think he's going to be awesome!


I decided to make these spider cupcakes for the kids in Derek's class at school. They are easy enough to make (Note to self: Never do 27 of them though). The body is just a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting. The eyes are peanut butter m&ms (where I got the recipe) and large marshmellows cut in half. Licorice for the spider arms and peanut butter m&ms for the nose. After two hours of putting them together I was wondering why I just didn't make cupcakes frost and put a pumpkin on the top or just buy.
They fell apart as I was taking them to school and what were those kids going to do with them anyway. All my hard work and they might and most likely just eat them. How dare they!

3 comments:

The Mrs. said...

Aw, how sweet! Happy Birthday Derek!!!

Stephanie said...

Happy birthday, Derek!

Carri said...

Derek is awesome. It's been fun to seem him grow up. I second you with the birthday cupcakes. Too much work. I'm such a lame mom that I don't do anything at school for my kids birthdays (actually, Dan is the only one to have a birthday during the school year. I'm really lame!)