Saturday, April 10, 2010

Tour de Phoenix

Mark and I completed the Tour de Phoenix this morning - it is a 72 mile bike ride. I am so happy its over with! I was nervous all night and didn't sleep very well. I think I got about 3 hours.
I prayed that neither he nor I would get hurt. I should have prayed that no one would get hurt because a few people did in crashes.
Mark and I had never ridden our bikes that far. The longest ride we had done previously was about 52 miles but, yay, we made it. He finished obviously much faster than me - about an hour and a half before I did. He didn't stop the whole way. He was happy with his time until he overheard some other men from our stake talking about their times. I think he did really well especially since he just started doing this last summer.
My goal was just to finish. My time was kind of slow but I'm ok with that. I stopped and ate an orange slice and banana at every aid station.
We didn't take any pictures - too much nervousness in the morning and I didnt want to take one afterwards. Mark looked fine but I had a "don't hate me cause I'm beautiful" appearance for sure. I looked like a wicked witch. My short hair was everywhere and bugs were stuck to my arms but, hey, we finished:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

72 miles?!??! you deserve a medal!!! congrats!!!

Janice Hartman said...

You did great. I can't imagine anyone biking that far. You can be very proud.

sasmithfam said...

Wow! 72 miles, that is pretty amazing! I am impressed? Did it take awhile for your legs to feel normal after riding so long. My legs would have never lasted that long.

Annie K said...

Way to go! After wearing a helmet that long I wouldn't want a picture either.