
I'm feeling a bit sad today. I just realized that my neighbors the McAllisters are finally gone. They are moving to the Phillipines to live for 3 to 5 years, while Brother McAllister works for the church as a lawyer and advisor on legal things. Last Friday was there last day. I was getting ready to go to the mountains so I missed them. This doesnt mean much unless you know how amazing they are. On Sunday when we were in the mountains we had a lesson on how there are people in your life that that mother you or take care of you and Sis. McAllister is one of those people for me. (This is what I got out of the lesson part that I actually heard. I was chasing Adam up on the hill who decided he would rather play in the creek than go to primary)
Anyhow, in the Fall of 2000 I think the McAllisters moved in to their house. I was a young mother with a crazy 2 year old and a brand new baby. I felt low about my abilities as a mother. Derek was starting to get everything out and pick up the new baby if I left her in the other room. Sis. McAllister soon got put in as the new Relief Society President. She came with such class. She knew that the other Relief Society President would feel a loss at the change of her calling. She came in with flowers for the old presidency and threw them a party a couple of days later. She had a book for everyone to sign to thank them for all of their service. As I got called on the Relief Society Board and had to give a lesson each month at Homemaking (what it was called back then) She came with flowers and a card to my house. She wrote things that made me feel like I was worth something. She told me she thought I was a kind person and would have interesting things to say. I know for a fact that their was a whole lot of other people that received kind notes and flowers from her that day too.
The thing I think I learned from her the most is how to give service. Don't get me wrong my parents had taught me this too. I had never seen anyone take it to this level before. She was the kind of person that brought you a meal, but it wasn't just any meal it was a 7 course meal. She's been know to lose nights of sleep to help other or family members.
She loves children. When my son was 2 year old wild child, she would be the only one that he would listen too. He would be running around like crazy man. No one could get his attention, but Sis. McAllister. She just has a special way of making everyone feel loved and appreciated for who they are.
When my kids were a little older she used to take them to McDonalds and afterwards would take them to Toys R Us. They would come back home with huge toys. When I would object she would tell me, it was something she enjoyed.
I only hope to be like a 1/4 of her when I grow up.
Her husband is amazing too. Reads a lot very smart and knows ton about the gospel. He's also extremely kind.
They also have 7 children. Who I must say are as amazing and talented as there parents. What can I say these amazing people will be missed






No comments:
Post a Comment