I recently metioned that Mark, a friend Camille, and I have been swimming at Butcher Jones (a part of Saguaro Lake). We went one Monday, everything went well. It was Mark's 1st time, so I think he was kind of shocked that it was as hard as I said it was. I was very pleased with myself though,because I knew that I had improved in the swimming department. Next Monday we set out to do it again. This time I started out 1st with confidence that I could do this. It was going well til I got stuck in this patch of grass/seaweed type thing. I had experienced a little of it before, so I wasnt really nervous at 1st. But, as I kept swimming I realized it was quite a large patch of grass. It feels like its pulling you under as it gets tied up on your legs and arms. Suddenly my mind went from you can do this to Oh no you are drowning. I drank about a gallon of water and wondered if this was it for me. I knew that if I had just turned on my back that and floated over it things would have been so much better. Mark and Camille not realizing that I was really in bad shape just swam on by. I contemplated where I was going to go. I certainly wasnt going to give up. I simply had my children, Mark, and others depending on me. I actually made it around,but I was exhausted and worn out. Recently I also started reading this book called WEAKNESS IS NOT SIN The Liberating Distinction that Awakens Our Strengths by Wendy Ulrich (this goes together trust me). This book kept speaking to me and telling me to buy it at Deseret Book (there were a few other books that sounded a lot funner to read, but I bought it) I read the 1st chapter this morning and knew why I needed to read this book. You see I've always thought weakness and sin were kind of one and the same. I've always let my weaknesses whether its being paralyzed with fear or from feeling the love of God. Feeling like somehow my weakness make him love me less. (Anyone else out there). I will give you an example from the book Jeremy suffers from depression which causes him to have a bunch of destructive feelings of unworthiness and leads him to look at bad things on the internet (sin)
Even though my weakness is like his I've never been to tempted by his sin (thank goodness) But it had me thinking just like I was drowning in the lake. Lately I've been hanging onto something that was my weakness that had caused me to be tempted to do something that was a sin. Even though I hadn't officially done anything wrong I was paralyzed with being a bad person for being tempted to do the sin. I felt like I had offended God and how would I make things right once again. I was pretty much drowning myself, not to mention I think along with this triathlon making myself very sick. This morning I realized how wrong I was. God didnt think I was a bad person. He loved me and maybe he was actually very proud because I resisted the sin I was heavily tempted to do. Feeling a little exhausted and worn out from that just like the lake. But, I didnt give up and I made it through. Not to mention that Jesus has already gone through this so I dont have too. I've found out that my weakness has become a strength. It makes me more compassionate to people that might be tempted or fall to this temptation. I have a desire to help people when they might need it. Anyway, do you let your weaknesses hold you back
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
Thank you for posting this.
Also, I hate seaweed (and lakeweed?). Seth would always swim through like it was no big deal, not so for me though.
Post a Comment