
Jackie's Baptism March 5, 2011
A year ago Mark and I had the privilege of meeting these two fun people. At first we met with Jerry. He had been searching for the right church to join. He somehow had run into a Mormon Bishop from another ward and who looked up where Jerry would go to church according to where he lived. Jerry had been attending lots of churches. The first time I met Jerry was at our ward Christmas party. He came with his beautiful daughter Allison. We had a good time talking to him. He enjoyed the music at our ward Christmas party and loved seeing all of the families together. I think seeing happy families together is what got him hooked. We had him over for dinner with the full time missionaries several times in January and February. I remember being brave enough to ask him what he was looking for. By March he was interested in being baptized. Mark was especially excited because Jerry wanted him to baptize him.

Jerry's baptism March 20, 2010


At Jerry's baptism is the first time Mark and I met Jackie (his wife), his other daughter Alex and Jackie's parents. I had heard a lot about Jackie from Jerry, but I myself was still nervous to meet her. I hoped she liked me. She had some preconceived notions about Mormons, in fact she didn't like them. She had grown up in Mesa and gone to Mtn. View High School just like I had and felt Mormons were not friendly or kind. Mtn. View was known at that time for its snobbishness. Kids coming to school in BMWs and Jaguars. I never did, but knew how people at that school could sometimes be and I was Mormon. So I could just imagine how she had felt even more excluded as a non-Mormon.

L-R Jackie's mom, Allison, Jackie dad near back, Alex, Jackie, and Jerry
Anyhow, the theory of hers was soon tested with our ward members and the amazing changes that her husband was making. I think she saw his changes and wanted some for her too.
The day of Jerry's baptism the McAllisters had a huge dinner and party for him. This is where we all were able to meet his entire family and his in-laws. It was an awesome day. Jackie soon started coming to church every once in a while after this. Her husband was on fire after his baptism. He was telling everyone and anyone about the gospel. I think because of her husband's example she started to come more and more. As she got to be good friends with the McAllisters and Chantal Carr (and I would like to think Mark and me), the walls were soon torn down.
They overcame some big obstacles this year. Loss of job, parents being sick and dying, family issues.
So yesterday March 5th she was baptized. She wanted to get baptized exactly a year after her husband, but it didn't work out. It was pretty close though. It's neat to see her amazing changes as well this year. It was a great day!






2 comments:
That is an awesome story Yvette!! Good job on being great examples!!
I love this! It is so awesome! Jerry and Jackie are so on fire!!! So are you and Mark! Thanks for the good example you set for our family!-It will sign me Elder Sawyer but I am still Mary Ann
Post a Comment