Monday, February 25, 2008

Deceptively Delicious Tacos

I was suprised when my family went crazy and ate up these tacos. This recipe is from a cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld called Deceptively Delicious. She tries to hide some vegetables in all of her recipes. When I told Mark that I had put butternut squash in the taco meat. He joked about there just being a little bit of dog poop in the food. But he still ate every bit of his two tacos I gave him and so did each of my kids. I suggest everyone go and buy this book. It has a lot of other good recipes our family has enjoyed as well.
Tacos

Nonstick cooking Spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
1lb of lean ground sirloin or turkey
1(14 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes, with their juice
1/2 cup sweet potoato, carrot, or butternut squash puree
1/2 (1.2 oz) packet taco seasoning, with no msg
1 pkg of taco shells (18 shells)
1/2 cup of reduced fat mozzarella cheese or Cheddar cheese

Toppings
1/2 lb. of cherry tomatoes, stemmed and quartered
1/2 cup canned or frozen corn kernels
1/4 cup of lowfat sour cream
3 large leaves Romaine lettuce, thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 small avocado pitted, peeled, and sliced
1 small red pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely sliced

1. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over med. heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Add the meat breaking it up with a spoon. Brown for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally also.

2. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, vegetable puree and seasoning mix. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the meat is no longer pink and the mixture begins to thicken, 10 to 15 minutes longer.

3. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Fill the taco shells with the meat mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Stand the shells in a baking dish and bake until the cheese melts, 5 to 10 minutes. Add your favorite toppings.
Half the butternut squash or sweet potato and cook for 45 min. at 400 degrees. When cools put the inside and some water in a blender or food processor to puree.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I've heard about this book and I've wanted to try it. I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing it. Let me know if you like any others and maybe I'll have to buy the book.

Jana said...

I heard good things about your book! I have more then once pureed veggies, and snuck them into food. As long as they aren't colorful or big enough to see, I can get away with it. Now if I could just figure out how to get chocolate into every meal, I would be a very happy woman.

Yvette said...

Stephanie, the recipes in this book are suprisingly good. It just takes a long time to puree all the veggies. I somehow feel better after I've seen them sneaking soda for breakfast that they get a good dinner.
Jana, if you figure out how to get chocolate in every meal I'm all for it. If I do I'll let you know too. Is it a deal? Before I read this I made a snack for Adam & I that was a spoon of peanut butter with chocolate chips on it and the highlight of my day was cleaning out the freezer and finding two bags of unopened hershey kissables that my children forgot about. Bummer for them good for me. I'm such a great mother.