Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Derek 1 Awesome Son

I was so proud of my son Derek I had to blog about this. On Sunday I was trying to make waffles. While they were cooking I thought I would get the bath ready for the baby to take a bath. After I put water in the bath I realized the waffles were done. I was attempting to put them on plates and my sweet little daughter was trying to help. She was getting the baby undressed and ready for the bath. This was putting me in panic mode, because I was afraid she'd try to give him a bath. (she is a good helper just to little to give baths obviously) My son Derek could tell that I was on the edge. He came in the kitchen and said Mom, I got it I'll give them the waffles you go ahead and take care of Math (his new nickname for his brother). This kid was once such a stinker. He bit, hit and harassed other kids. The preschool teacher told me I shouldn't have any other children. I overheard two mothers at this particular preschool call my son a little clepto. The prekindergarten teacher told me I should watch more of Dr. Phil, because the shows he did on parenting would make me a better mother. The kindergarten teacher told me pretty much that I was a bad parent and she wondered if Derek would make it in school. Whenever Derek has successes I want to write each of these people a letter and let them know how well he's doing. He still has his moments I wish in high school that I would have been smart enough to join the debate team or decathlon. This would have helped me as a mom. The boy comes up with some good arguments on things and has you wondering as a parent if you shouldn't change your mind. This kid has helped me become a better person in so many ways. I am definitely less judgemental than I used to be. When I think of my son I realize what a blessing he is. With all the hard times I've had with him. I realize he's the one that's taught me how to be more Christlike. Sorry about this post. I'm thinking blogging is like therapy for me.

4 comments:

Monica said...

Yvette that is great, you will get help where you need it in so many different ways and to all those people who said mean things about you or Derek then oh well let it go they probly have other issues that require to much of them to be nice to others and that is why they are so mean to everybody else they need that to make them feel better about there problem. Tell Dereck way to go on helpijng out he is a good big brother.
Love Monica

Jana said...

That so hits home! I have one that someone told me would be nothing but trouble, that would get in all kinds of trouble in school, wouldn't get along with other kids, and that I was not using the right parenting skills. Since he has started school, all I hear is praise about him and he too is my biggest helper. Don't listen to other people, because they don't know your kids as well as you do. You know what is best for them, and how to help them be their best. Heavenly Father sent Derek to you, because he knew you were the most qualified to be his Mom and you would love him even through difficult times! You are a great mom and don't let anyone convince you otherwise!

Stephanie said...

Well, I agree with the other comments left. I can't believe people (teachers should know better) think it is their place to tell you how to raise your child. I know it happens a lot. I've experienced it already. Brett and I think Derek is a good kid. That is awesome he is so willing to help. Not many kids his age would be. I think you do a great job as his mom and he probably wouldn't be such a great kid with any other parents.

amy said...

amen! 1- very cool story!
2- i agree that kids help us become more like Christ
hope you're having a great day.