Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Mother

Yesterday was the 3rd anniversary of my mothers death. After 3 years its getting a little easier to deal with. I don't think of her every minute of the day anymore and I know I will see her again. Its just that for me my mom was the one person in the world that got me. Anyway, what's a girl to do without her mom. The mom is usually the one that loves you unconditionally (not that dads don't).
My mom and I were so much alike. We either fought like crazy or were having the time of our lives together. I still do miss her everyday. Especially when I need some adult conversation.
I've learned a lot from her death though. The last thing she said to me before she died was," Everything is going to be alright." I told her I knew it would be too, but I would just miss her. As time has gone by I've seen that everything is alright(I didn't feel like it ever would be again) and the tender mercies that Heavenly Father has blessed my family with. My testimony has grown. After it happened I questioned most things I knew about the gospel. Is there really life after death and will I see my mom after death. I needed to know these things more than ever before. Before going through this. If someone I knew were having these feelings. I would have wondered about their testimony and here I was having those feelings. The trial of my faith. It ended up being a good thing though. I think Heavenly Father puts these things in our lives to see what we will choose. He hopes we choose him and his son.
I can say that I do believe that I will see my mom again. I do believe believe in Heavenly Father and his son.
Anyway, this was supposed to be a post about my mom not me.
10 things about my mom I want to remember and my family.
1. Was a perfectionist. Whether she was sewing, quilting or doing some other craft item. It always turned out looking perfect.
2. When my brothers and I were teenagers she would come into your room and try to make you talk to her. When your a teenager you just want to be left alone, but I think this was the thing that made us all feel close to her
3. Had tons of energy. I don't know where she got all her energy. It seemed she had the house clean, time to work on some sewing project, get dinner, and time to call one of her friends or check on one of my siblings or me.
4. Was a loyal friend. Once you were her friend you were her friend for life. She always remembered friends birthdays and important events. For Christmas she usually made her friends special things (for example she made everyone she knew a pillowcase doll)
5. Loved the gospel. Went on a mission to Auckland, New Zealand. Never realized it tell the funeral, but this was the thing that sealed her heart to Heavenly Father.
6. Was a serious person. Didn't really grow up with sarcasm. Her kids changed that for her.
7. Was a health nut. Liked exercising and eating healthy. Was always looking for the next way to eat or be healthy. If the news came out and said eat more apples she would do it.
8. Loved to sew. She could make the most beautiful clothes for herself.
9. She also would use her talents to give to other people. She liked looking for ways to help people.
10. She had self-esteem problem. She never felt like she was that great at anything.
Like the saying goes you never know how someone touches your life until they are gone.
Appreciate your family members while they're here.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

In the time that I knew your mom I grew to love her. She was so sweet to me from the beginning. I remember being a little scared to meet her because she was such a huge part of Brett's life and he is such a momma's boy. I enjoyed reading what you wrote about her. I am grateful I was able to get to know her and I enjoy hearing the memories about her.

AMBER said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom. You're making me teary over here... I know you will probably always ache for your mom, but like you said you will see her again. I know that thought helps me feel better too.

Dena said...

You touched my heart also! I think you are alot like your mom from your tribute. You are one of the nicest people I know! You will see her again, I know this.

amy said...

this is great. i'm glad you made a list of ten things you want you and your family to remember. it will be great to look back on throughout the years. hope you have a good week. :)

Gretchen Edwards said...

That was such a special blogg.-I also love the 10 things remembered. I hope Ava loves me that much someday!