Thursday, October 29, 2009

Changing Video

Since Derek recently got to see the changing video, it brought back memories of when I got lucky enough to see the changing video.
Mark wanted to see the video just for the simple fact of being able to talk to him about it afterwards. His school never had one. Mark came home and told me about the video and he said he was just concerned about what Derek thought of this one part. We waited for Derek to say something about it and he never did. So Mark finally asked him about it. It turns out we were worried for nothing. I guess he went to the bathroom during that part. Bummer, I guess we have to explain it to him now.
This brought back memories for me with my dad when I started to ask him about the changing video and other things. When I was about 10 years old, Madonna came on the scene it was about 1983 or 1984. (This was before she was openly nasty). I wanted to be Madonna. I wanted to be her really bad. I bought her album. I sung to her music in my room. I wore a big scarf tied into a bow around my head and bunch of rubber bracelets and tried to layer my clothes like she did. I was sure it was some kind of fate that we shared the same birthday, Aug. 16th. I'm not sure what kind of fate it could have been at this point in my life. Maybe, somehow in my 10 year old mind that she would somehow accept me as her one and only soul sister.

After wearing all of my garb, to school one day. I remember my 5th grade teacher asking me who I wanted to be. I was really proud when a boy interuppted her and told the teacher I wanted to be Madonna. Wow, I was understood.
The songs of hers that were popular at the time were Lucky Star, Holiday, and of course Like a Virgin. Well, I remember asking my dad what Like a Virgin meant. He told me he didnt know. I was really confused. I had always considered my dad an intelligent person. Yet he didnt know too much about the questions I had asked him about the changing video or the Like a Virgin song. Where had my dad been hiding and why didnt he know these important questions. In terms of Derek seeing the changing video. I'm kinda glad he didnt see the main important part of that video or I might have had to tell him the same thing. Derek, I dont know.

7 comments:

Annie K said...

I am so not ready for that. I somehow missed that video. I can't remember why. It wasn't because of my parents not wanting me to see it.

Kelsey the other day asked me if they cut me open to get Braden out. I told her no. She then asked how they got him out. I told her they pushed him out. She asked if it hurt me. My reply was yes and then she accepted the answer.

Tami said...

I was totally laughing when I read this post! I too thought that I could be Madonna's soul sister--and I didn't know what Like a Virgin meant either, but I remember dancing in my room to that song over and over with it playing full blast! I listen to those songs now and wonder--what were my parents thinking??? Good luck with that talk--I'm not very good at those talks, I guess kinda like my parents! Ha!

momof4azkids said...

Love it! I always use the "I don't know" excuse for embarassing questions.

Jana said...

We did that last year! Oh, so fun!

Jackie said...

what happen to your blog??

THE PACK FAMILY said...

I had a similar experience when I was young. Like a Virgin was my favorite song in 3rd grade and I asked my mom what a virgin was. That is when I got "the talk." In third grade!

Nate and I sat Isaiah down when he was in fourth grade to give him a little "talk." We must have said something really scary because he started crying and said, "I don't understand!"

We decided that we would discuss it more when he watched his own changing video at school this year. Hopefully things will go a little better. I guess he is way more innocent than I was at that age!

sasmithfam said...

That is too funny Yvette, about Madonna. I am not looking forward to any talk. Can't they just be a goody goody like me and not really ever get a talk from the parents and just accept that boys and girls are different and that is it?